Pages

Thursday, 9 October 2014

Squatters taken to task for declining flat rental offers


KUCHING: Squatters in and around the city who turned down flat rental offers only have themselves to blame if they received eviction orders from the authority.

Assistant Housing Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said the government, through Housing Development Corporation (HDC), had numerous housing projects to resettle those squatting on state and private lands.

One of such projects was RPR Batu Gong Park, along Mile 18 Kuching-Serian Road, but until today only a few of the 500 units available had been occupied.

Abdul Karim, also Asajaya assemblyman, told reporters in Asajaya on Tuesday that the flats were meant for squatters around the city.

“Unfortunately, many of them turned down the offer by giving all kinds of excuses. Since they declined the offer, we now open the flats to those eligible to rent.

“In future, if they (squatters) are forced to move out after receiving eviction orders and don’t have anywhere to go, they will regret not taking up the offer in the first place. If that happened, the government is not to be blamed
 

No comments:

Post a Comment