Tuesday 16 November 2021

Talking about retaining my candidacy at N15 Asajaya in 12th Sarawak State Elections

I have informed our Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) chairman, Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg that I have represented the Asajaya constituency for the past 20 years and I had been there for a long time. Although I don’t really feel like it has been 20 years, I have enjoyed my ‘stay’ there.

If I were given the opportunity to represent Asajaya again, I will be very happy. If not, I will support the candidate who GPS nominates to contest for that constituency. I will give the full support if  (GPS) decides to field a new candidate in his Asajaya seat in the upcoming Sarawak's 12th state election (PRN12).

It was the norm for Parti Bumiputera Bersatu (PBB) to field between 20 and 30 per cent new faces as candidates in parliamentary and state elections. Thus, I hope those fellow incumbents who are not picked to defend their seats this time around would accept the decisions made by the party’s top leadership. I will leave it to GPS chairman Abang Johari to announce the finalised candidates, but I believe the incumbents will already know whether they are contesting or not.

If the party has not asked for your photos to print out posters, you know it’s not forthcoming, or the party leaders have already politely informed those involved. On rumours that Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) could field its candidate in Asajaya, I was informed there are in fact three PKR members were already moving on the ground while canvassing for support. This is interesting because I did not know that contesting in Asajaya is important for them (PKR).

When asked on the seats in Mambong, Pakan and Bekenu which were won by Barisan Nasional- direct candidates back in the 2016 state polls, I have mentioned that talks between GPS component parties have always been cordial and in the spirit of understanding. By being on the ground, we will know who are the most winnable candidate is for a particular constituency. It has always been not a problem for the component parties to discuss the matter and not lead to a big squabble later. The incumbents for Mambong, Pakan and Bekenu are Datuk Dr Jerip Susil, Tan Sri William Mawan and Datuk Rosey Yunus, respectively – are all from PBB.








No comments:

Post a Comment