Sunday 28 March 2021

Expressing my support for implementation of lowering voting age to 18

I have expressed my support for the implementation of lowering the country’s voting age to 18 despite the recent deferment announced by the Election Commission (EC). I could understand that the EC might have some difficulties in the implementation since in Malaysia, eligible citizens need to register themselves as voters.

These are the views which I had mentioned to our media friends who had seek my response on the recent #Undi18 issue that resulted in mixed reactions from members of the public especially among youths aged 18 and above. I have mentioned that in order to cast our votes, the process in Malaysia involves registration with the EC. I think EC may have some difficulties in this aspect, hence, it announced to defer the implementation. Even though I support Undi18, I understand that there are some difficulties that need to be addressed by the EC.

Being the president of Sarawak United National Youth Organisation (SABERKAS), I recalled that the Bill had seek to lower the voting age to 18 was passed in Parliament in 2018. During that time, the Parliament also agreed that individuals aged 21 and above could contest in any elections in the country. The Bill then also received unanimous support from all MPs, be they from Pakatan Harapan (PH) or the opposition at the time, which is Perikatan Nasional (PN).

Though it has been passed in Parliament, it needs to be gazetted and endorsed by Yang di-Pertuan Agong. I was made to understand that it has been gazetted. I believed that if efforts were put in place, Malaysia should not see any major problem in implementing the policy of lowering the voting age to 18. It would not be much of a problem for those aged 21 and above to contest in elections because this does not require registration. A candidate just needs to bring along a nomination form, MyKad and deposit money to be eligible as a candidate.

However, if an eligible individual did not register with the EC, the individual would not be able to vote in any election. If your name is not on the electoral roll, you can’t cast your vote even though you have reached the age of 18. I felt that voter’s registration in Malaysia should be done automatically but was quick to admit that automatic voter’s registration is easier said than done. Because it (automatic voter’s registration) involves another agency, you need to link yourself up with the National Registration Department.







No comments:

Post a Comment