Friday 10 August 2012

Old folks’ home resident spent six years without visits from loved ones

By RUSSELL TING
russell@thestar.com.my

Close ties: (From left) Korniah happily talking to Abdul Karim and Saptuyah as they present
the residents with Aidilfitri goodies.

KUCHING: It will be a lonely Hari Raya for some of the residents of Rumah Seri Kenangan Kuching this coming festive season.

Ex-soldier Morshidi Abdullah (pic) has no children, no wife and no relatives to visit him during the time he needs them the most.

“I have spent the last six years here with no friends or loved ones visiting me.

“It gets very lonely sometimes, especially during the holiday season, when I see others getting visitors but not me,” he said, wiping away a tear.

The 69-year-old is also bound to a wheelchair due to a leg injury.

Assistant Youth Development Minister Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah along with Rumah Sri Kenangan Kuching principal Saptuyah Sazali visited Morshidi as well as the 62 residents of Rumah Seri Kenangan Kuching yesterday to present them with Aidilfitri goodies; just in time for Hari Raya.

Others are a bit luckier, like husband and wife pair Bujang Junit and Mazinah Tubo, who met and were married at the home in 2003.


“I feel quite thankful that I have someone to spend Raya with, even if nobody comes to visit me,” she told reporters.

Korniah Saibini, however, understands how Morshidi feels.

“I have no children. My husband passed away in 2001, so my relatives sent me here as they were too busy to care for me.

“Most of the time I am here by myself, but am a bit luckier as my sister would pick me up to return to Kampung Jawa, my hometown, to stay for a week during Raya,” she said.

The residents were visibly happy as Abdul Karim went around the home to distribute the goodies, which consisted of duit raya and snacks, among other things.

One resident, a particularly cheerful old lady named Luyah Buji even sang songs and recited poems to him as he played along.

“Do not forget, all of you are always in our thoughts. I am glad that we can all celebrate this festive season together as one big family, regardless of race and religion,” he told residents during his visit.

Rumah Seri Kenangan Kuching is slated to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up next month, with many of the resi- dents to be relocated to temporary residences in Sibu and Kota Samarahan.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment