Thursday 23 March 2023

Defending Malaysia's Ministry of Youth and Sports "Jom Ziarah Gereja" programme

I have expressed my personal views on the recent controversy over the "Jom Ziarah Gereja" programme which organised by Malaysia's Ministry of Youth and Sports in which it is a noble effort. It was good for the people of different religions and backgrounds where they can understand the faith of others. 

I have come to the defence of our Federal Youth and Sports Minister, YB Hannah Yeoh because she had good intentions of promoting harmony and tolerance especially among young Malaysians. It was a shame that her intentions had been misconstrued by others as an attempt to convert the Muslims.

I think we do not have that problem in Sarawak. A lot of us, including myself, go to mission schools, and we can understand each other. I even took up Scripture in Form Five. Bible Knowledge was one of the subjects that I took. It does not make me less Muslim, it does not convert me or make me leave my religion.

Don't tell me Muslims are so low in understanding or in their faith, that when you bring them to a church they would convert. As a Muslim, I feel ashamed with people like this coming up with 'masuk ziarah gereja, terus terpikat' (visit a church, be captivated immediately). To me, YB Yeoh's detractors had likely made their claims for political mileage.










No comments:

Post a Comment